6 November, 2023
Annual shoot success
SHOOTERS from across the Far North gathered in Ravenshoe over the weekend for the annual Inter-Branch Rifle Shoot.
A field of 16 shooters from the Innisfail/Babinda/Tully Branch and the Tableland Branch contested the annual Inter-Branch Rifle Shoot at this location.
The altitude and fine mild shooting conditions didn’t affect the shooting skills of 1971 intake Nasho Rusty Vonarx, who completed a 2023 trifecta of winning competitions this year at Tinaroo, Kurrimine and now the Ravenshoe range.
It has only been achieved once before, in 2018, by Innisfail shooter Lorry Calleja.
The winners were:
• First place - Tableland Branch recorded an average of 213 points for their 7 shooters, 5 being Nashos.
• Second place – Innisfail/Babinda/Tully Branch recorded an average of 163 points for their 9 shooters, 8 being Nashos.
• “FNQ Nasho Marksman Trophy” was won by Rusty Vonarx (Tableland) as the National Serviceman, recording the highest total score of 261.4 for the 3 disciplines shot. Second was Tableland Branch Patron, Ray Byrnes (224.1) and third was Doug Smith (Tableland) (219.2).
• “Friends of Nashos Trophy” was won by Peter Campion (Tableland) (236) for a Non-Nasho recording the highest total score of the disciplines shot. Second and third were two lady shooters, Shirley Bradley (Tableland) (157.1 points) and Dani Gatti (Babinda) (146.1 points).
• “Encouragement Trophy” was awarded to David Grima (Innisfail) (104.1 points) to recognise a victory for the devotion they put into their team and the importance of competing for those at the rear of the field.