Please note javascript is required for full website functionality.

Latest News

11 April, 2020

Where to get help    

Every day the government is releasing new information about what you can and can’t do and how to access help, but it can be over whelming if you need help and don’t know where to start

By Phil Brandel

Where to get help          

Every day the government is releasing new information about what you can and can’t do and how to access help, but it can be overwhelming if you need help and don’t know where to start.

Below is a list of phone numbers and websites to help you better understand who you need to contact if you do need help.

For the latest COVID-19 health advice and information from Queensland Health 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84)

For vulnerable Queenslanders, such as people with disabilities and seniors, who are in quarantine and do not have the capacity to be self-reliant and do not have friends or family close by to provide support call the Community Recovery Hotline: 1800 173 349

If you’re an individual, sole trader, small or medium business and you need further assistance managing your tax and super obligations, contact the emergency support infoline on 1800 806 218

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples who need help can phone the Indigenous Helpline on 13 10 30.

The Federal Government announced new measures to provide support to affected workers, businesses and the broader community. for more information visit

If you’re not sure what to do with your debts, you can get back on track with free financial counselling or 1800 007 007

If you need information about support for people impacted by COVID-19, including Economic Support Payments and allowances for people who are in self-quarantine and can’t work, visit or call 132 468.

To contact the government directly:

Queensland Government: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

Small business hotline: 1300 654 687

DAF Customer Service Centre: 13 25 23

A range of business counselling, resilience workshops and support tools are available for small businesses affected by coronavirus. Contact the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training on 1300 654 687 for more information.

The Rural Financial Counselling Service provides free financial advice to producers who are suffering financial hardship and have no alternative sources of impartial financial information. phone (07) 4652 5669.

If you are receiving NDIS or My Aged Care services contact your service provider to seek support in the first instance.

Alternatively, you can call:

The NDIS Contact Centre on 1800 800 110.

The My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422

The National Relay Service Helpdesk on 1800 555 660

The Homeless Hotline is a phone information and referral service for people who are experiencing homelessness or are at risk of homelessness. 1800 474 753

Domestic and family violence helplines: In an emergency call the police on Triple Zero (000) or 1800 797 732 or 1800 RESPECT for confidential information and support.

The COVID-19 Rental Grant is a one-off payment of up to 4 weeks rent available to those who do not have access to other financial assistance. The grant is paid directly to your lessor call the Residential Tenancies Authority on 1800 497 161

If you’re suffering from mental health issues, contact Lifeline on Phone: 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636




Most Popular

© 2020 The Express Newspaper - Providing Local News for Mareeba, Atherton, Cooktown, Kuranda & across the Tablelands.